Note: We are currently not looking for translating VocaDB into additional languages with the exception of Korean.
Updates to the existing translations, especially Japanese and Chinese are very welcome.
See the GitHub page on this topic here.
OverviewMain parts of the VocaDB user interface are translatable. This guide is for you If you wish to help translating the interface into your language.
There are currently two methods to help with the translations: Directly through editing the resource files with GitHub or translating the text via "Crowdin". For the first method you need some technical expertise.
Editing the resource files
VocaDB user interface is translated with .resx resource files. Most of the resources are under these folders: Web\App_GlobalResources, Web\Resources and Model\Resources (including subfolders).
Note that you only need to care about the files ending with ".resx" and no other dots in the name. For example "AlbumCollectionStatusNames.resx", you don't need "AlbumCollectionStatusNames.fi.resx" or "AlbumCollectionStatusNames.Designer.cs".
To edit these files you'll need a resource file editor such as ResX Resource Manager or Zeta resource editor.
Editing the files can be done in one of two possible ways.
Forking the repository on Github(preferred)
- Fork the repository on Github.
- Clone the repository to your PC.
- Copy the original resource file and name it with the culture-specific suffix.
- For example, "AlbumCollectionStatusNames.resx" for German would be named "AlbumCollectionStatusNames.de.resx".
- Commit your changes and send a pull request to the original repository.
Downloading the repository(if you're not comfortable with version control)
- Download the whole repository as a .zip file from Github.
- Copy and rename the resource files as mentioned above, edit the copied files.
Translating through Crowdin
Crowdin is a localization management platform for companies and teams.
You can join VocaDB's translation project using this invite link. There, you can easily search for missing translations or fix existing ones.